GHANA FEDERATION OF FOREST AND FARM PRODUCERS
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Consultancy to Facilitate National Dialogue Series to Promote Forest and Farm Producer Organisations influence on Policy, Access to Finance and Access to Markets.
Expected Duration of the Consultancy: 6 months
Deadline for Applications: 31st July, 2020
Expected Start date of the Assignment: 7th August,2020
Country of Assignment: Ghana, West Africa
BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE
Ghana’s agricultural sector is dominated by smallholder forest and farm producers who depends on their farms and its related enterprises for food and income. In order to ensure sustained livelihoods, they diversified their activities in the area of tree cropping, food crop production, rearing of livestock and engaging in off-farm activities such as operating artisanal shops and other related micro-business. Among them, women form majority constituting about 60% of the sector workforce in the area of production, value addition, processing, marketing, packaging and distribution.
The smallholder forest and farm producers faces numerous challenges ranging from limited land size due to population growth and high demand for farm lands for commercial activities, weak policies that protect their interest; poor access to quality agro-inputs; declining soil fertility; difficult access to financial services and lack of guaranteed markets. These challenges lead to declining productivity, high postharvest losses, food and income insecurity and high incidences of poverty.
The Ghana Federation of Forest and Farm Producers (GhaFFaP) sees this development as worrying and call for intervention that could change the fortunes of smallholder forest and farm producers. GhaFFaP has therefore decided as a strategic initiative to organize a national dialogue series for its members and stakeholders within the forest and farm business value chains on three broad areas namely;
- Policy – This will involve key policy makers and implementers within the forest and farm sector for addressing policy barriers and facilitating the accessing of existing policy opportunities
- Access to Markets– This will involve buyers of GhaFFaP members’ products and building market linkages for value added products
- Access to Finance- This will involve financial institutions and Government financial service providers for accessing financial services for members
The national dialogue event would be used to find solutions to address critical policy, market and access to finance opportunities and barriers towards promoting strong, sustainable and climate resilient forest and farm businesses in Ghana. The national dialogues will develop action plans to recommend intervention that could address the concerns of small-scale forest and farm producers in Ghana.
EXPECTED ASSIGNMENT TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONSULTANT
The expected result of the consultancy is to support GhaFFaP in the promotion FFPOs’ interests in terms of policy and enabling environments towards building strong and inclusive forest and farm-based businesses, contribute to shaping national policies for sustainable development and promote climate resilient landscapes across the forest, transition and savannah ecological zones in Ghana. Therefore, the role of the consultant shall include;
- Desk review, including phone/video interviews to relevant stakeholders, on policy opportunities and barriers, on challenges and opportunities in accessing finance, and in accessing input and output markets, affecting FFPOs from the three agro-ecological zones in Ghana.
- Carry out validation of desk review report by FFPOs at the three agro-ecological zones during the zonal round tables.
- Develop a written report and brief presentation on the issues identified and validated in relation to policy opportunities and barriers, access to finance and access to markets.
- Facilitate the first national dialogue series event, with support from GhaFFaP in particular during parallel breakout sessions, including the preparation of action plans-developed by event participants- addressing challenges and opportunities identified during the discussions.
- Develop and share a well written report on the national dialogue event
- Periodically (at least once a month) follow-up with and support GhaFFaP members in the implementation of their action plans.
- Provide periodic (monthly) progress reports on the implementation of action plans, and a final action plan implementation progress report indicating the status of actions taken by responsible stakeholders, what has been done, the successes, lessons learned and recommendations going forward.
- Perform other duties as required
EXPECTED OUTPUT AND TIMELINES
|1||Submission of Desk review report on challenges and opportunities for FFPOs||By 10th August, 2020|
|2||Validation exercise at the 3 zonal round tables||By 28th August, 2020|
|3||Brief report along with PowerPoint Presentation on the key challenges/opportunities for FFPOs on policy engagement, access to markets and to finance||By 4th September, 2020|
|4||Facilitation of the first Dialogue event||By 17th September, 2020|
|5||Submission of the first national dialogue event report, including synthesis of action plan(s)||By 25th September,2020|
|6.||Comments and review, to the report||By 9th October, 2020
|7||Submission of Revised report||By 16th October, 2020|
|8||Continuing Follow up/support implementation of Action Plan(s)||By 19th Oct– 11th December , 2020|
|9||Monthly Progress Report on Action Plan Implementation||By October, November, December, 2020
|10||Final Consolidated update report on implementation of action plan||By 25th January, 2021|
|11||Final Comprehensive report on the entire assignment||By 25th January 2021|
EXPECTED DURATION OF THE CONSULTANCY
The consultancy will span for 42 days within the period of 6 months. This will include undertaking field visits to;
- validate challenges and opportunities faced by FFPOs and its members in the 3 ecological zones (forest, transition and savannah) in preparation to the first national dialogue event, and monitor and support progress on action plan implementation, post event, in the 3 ecological zones.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- The ideal consultant is expected to have post-graduate qualifications (Master’s level or higher) in either economics, political science, agribusiness, agricultural economics and at least five years’ relevant work experience; or bachelor’s degree in any of the same subject areas with at least eight years of relevant experience.
More specifically the following knowledge and skills are required:
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy monitoring and analysis, facilitating access to finance, and access to input and output markets, particularly on agricultural policies/programmes and investments in the forest and farm sector in Ghana.
- Comprehensive work experience in Ghana, in the agricultural/agribusiness sub sector.
Experience with private sector engagement and the identification of investment opportunities
- Experience in workshop facilitation and stakeholder engagement
- Excellent writing skills to present complex information in a simplified manner
How to Apply
If you are interested in implementing the above assignment please send your CV and other relevant documents no later than 31.07.2020 to the following email address: email@example.com
If you do not receive further correspondence in this regard from us by 07.08.2020 please consider your application as unsuccessful.