Call for proposal for research work
The Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) with funding from GIZ request for consultancy services to undertake research on the government One Village One Dam project. The objective of this call is to engage services of a researcher to assess the current state of irrigation development in Ghana focusing on the government One Village One Dam (1V1D) project.
The Government of Ghana as part of its flagship programme to address irrigation needs in northern Ghana initiated a project called “One Village One Dam” in 2017 as a way of addressing the problem of access to water for farming in the dry season. The aim of this initiative was to ensure water availability for all year farming, for livestock rearing and for domestic use. The Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) whose members are the main beneficiaries of this initiative developed interest in this special initiative. The association in 2019 monitored the implementation of the 1V1D to ensure it meets the expectation of PFAG members. The monitoring report found poor implementation leading to limited benefits.
The report was later presented to government highlighting the challenges and unsuitability of some of the dams to the beneficiary communities. Consequently, some of the dams were rehabilitated and government promised to work on the remaining ones.
Access to irrigation being a priority for agricultural development in Ghana, PFAG aimed to provide evidence through research for government to increase investment in irrigation.
This Specifically will be to engage a researcher to perform the following task:
- Conduct a community survey to generate evidence on the true state of government investment in the 1V1D in the Vonania Dam in the Upper East Region.
- Conduct desk review to establish the state of irrigation development in Ghana
- Support PFAG to develop a position paper based on the evidence generated for government on the need to increased investment in irrigation development in Ghana.
Qualified candidate should express interest detailing the following:
- Technical proposals
The technical proposals should include detailed approach and methodology to be used for the evidence generation.
- Capability Statement:
Capacity statement not exceeding two (2) pages explaining the Consultant’s understanding of the assignment as well as capability to perform the task. This shall include examples of similar assignments performed in the last five years.
- CVs not exceeding two pages indicating (i) educational qualifications, (ii) employment record relevant to the assignment and (iii) work/assignments that best illustrates capability to handle the assigned tasks.
All qualified applicants should submit their applications to :
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30th October, 2022
only selected applicant will be contacted
Terms of Reference for Scoping Mission for Proposal in Northern Ghana
The Government of Ghana initiated a project as part of its agricultural flagship projects to construct dams across communities in northern Ghana (One Village One Dam) in 2017 to address the problem of access to water for dry season farming in northern Ghana. The Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) monitoring of the implementation of the 1V1D found poor implementation leading to limited benefits of its members. The monitoring report was later presented to government highlighting the challenges and unsuitability of some of the dams to the beneficiary communities. Consequently, some of the dams were rehabilitated and government promised to work on the remaining. Fortunately, the 2022-2024 budget and economic policy of Ghana highlighted some dams to be constructed under the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority. One of such dam is located in the Vonania community in the Kassena Nankana District of the Upper East Region where some PFAG members stand to benefit
As part of GIZ “Sustainable Employment through AgriBusiness (AgriBiz) in Ghana” PFAG is supported with funds to advocate for government to increase investment in irrigation. As part of project implementation, PFAG seek to generate evidence of the state of irrigation development in Ghana using the Vonania dam as a case study.
- Objective of the Assignment
The main objective of this assignment is to gather both primary and secondary data on the state of irrigation development in Ghana using the Vonania dam under 1V1D as a case study
- Scope of Work
The Consultant shall collect and analyze primary data supplemented with secondary data where necessary. The project area will be Vonania in the Upper East Region. The consultant is also expected to work with PFAG to develop position paper for policy dialogue with government for consideration.
- Qualifications and Experience Required
PFAG is looking for a professional with experiences in development, agribusiness, and agriculture sector
- A post graduate qualification in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Agricultural Development.
- First degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Agricultural Development, Physical Sciences and Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years in development work
- A minimum of 3 years in social development research work
- Ability to mobilize data collectors with experience in the target areas and sectors.
- Ability to interact in Kasem and/or Nankane which is the common dialect in the project area
leave a comment