The Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) issues this call for proposals to invite technical and financial proposal from consultant/resource persons for the provision of a survey mission and consulting services on a project with funding from the Forest and Farm Facility -FAO and its partners.
The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of PFAG to engage in effective advocacy and business development for the benefit of its members and other producer organizations through the establishment of grassroot, zonal and national FFPO round tables and coordination of the activities of the Ghana Federation of Forest and Farm Producers (GhaFFaP). More details on the call for the project context is provided in the Terms of Reference which accompanies this call for proposal.
Deadline for submission of proposal is on 12th March 2022.
Review and selection of qualified candidate will be on 16th March, 2022
Developing and signing of TOR will be on the 18th March 2020
Commencement of work start on 21st March, 2022
Submitting of first draft on 22nd April, 2021
Technical and Financial Proposals
The proposals should include submission of a technical and financial proposal in accordance with the guidelines below.
2.1 Technical proposal
A narrative not exceeding two (2) pages that justified the Consultant’s understanding of the assignment as well as capability to perform the scope of work. This shall include a list detailing similar assignments performed and one (1) electronic copy of report for a similar assignment.
Approach and Methodology:
Please explain your understanding of the objectives of the assignment as outlined in the Terms of Reference (TORs), the technical approach, and the methodology you would adopt for implementing the tasks. Please do not repeat/copy the TORs
Organization and Staffing
Please describe the structure and composition of your team, including the list of the Key Personnel and Support Staff necessary to deliver assignment within the duration allowed
Name/s and CVs (not to exceed two pages) and must include (i) Educational Qualifications, (ii) Employment Record relevant to the assignment and (iii) Work/Assignments that Best Illustrates Capability to Handle the Assigned Tasks
Financial proposal must be detailed & itemized for each key activity of the assignment. All fees shall be in Ghana Cedis (GHS).
For each activity the Consultant should provide the following:
FEES: Proposed staff, rates, number of person-days needed to accomplish the work.
REIMBURSABLE EXPENSES: This shall include but not limited to (i) Per diem allowances, (ii) Travel Costs, (iii) Communication costs for Delivery of Services, (iv) Cost of Reporting
A completed technical and financial proposal should be submitted to:
TERMS OF REFERENCE TO CONDUCT BUSINESS RISK ASSESSMENT OF GHAFFAP MEMBERS BASKET OF PRODUCT VALUE CHAINS, MARKET ASSSESSMENT AND EXTERNAL TRADE LINKAGES TO INCREASE ENTREPRENEURSHIP, ACCESS TO MARKETS AND FINANCE FOR GENDER EQUITABLE FOREST AND FARM BUSINESS VALUE CHAINS.
PFAG seeks the services of a resource person with extensive experience in assessing business risk along the value chains and methodologies to conduct business risk assessment of GhaFFaP members basket of product, business value chains, market assessment and external trade linkages. GhaFFaP members are made up of forest and farm producers who are at the core of food production in Ghana. Despite their immense contributions to food production, they are still ranked high among the poor in Ghana. As part of GhaFFaP strategy of promoting sustainable forest and farm businesses, this business risk assessment will provide an in-depth analysis of the potential risks, output market and production capacity on the value chains of GhaFFaP members basket of products. The federation identified a basket of products which comprises of agricultural products that can be produced and marketed by GhaFFaP members in each of the three ecological zones.
The approach which is under the GhaFFaP Green market is aimed at promoting sustainable businesses for forest and farm producers in Ghana.
The FFF project is envisaged to focus on Strengthening the capacity of PFAG to engage in effective advocacy and business development for the benefit of its members and other FFPOs, hence the assignment which focuses on assessing the business risk of GhaFFaP members basket of product value chains will enable GhaFFaP members understand the risks in their operations and identify opportunities within the value chain which will contribute to their increased entrepreneurship, market access and access to finance.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Ghana Federation of Forest and Farm Producers (GhaFFaP) has developed its Agenda 2030 which serves as a strategic document to be attained in the next 10 years. The federation view it necessary to assess risk at the respective basket of products business value chains for gender equitable forest and farm businesses and recommend effective strategies to mitigate this risk and take advantage of the market opportunities. The Business Incubation Team and Women Champion Wing of GhaFFaP has been mandated to support FFPO business transformation using ‘the Basket of Products’ Approach. In effect the team has conducted two business cases which includes;
- Aggregation and marketing of Cashew & Organic Mango at the Transitional Zone
- Aggregation and Value addition – Baobab & Shea at the Savanna Zone, while the forest zone business case is under development.
Thus, Peasant Farmers Association of Ghana (PFAG) is seeking an experienced, dynamic individual as resource person to conduct business risk assessment of GhaFFaP members basket of product value chains, market assessment and external trade linkages. This consultancy will involve a value chain risk assessment, market and production capacity assessment to enhance business, entrepreneurship and market access.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
This initiative is aimed at evaluating the risks, market and external trade linkages of GhaFFaP members basket of products value chain. Specifically, the assignment is to;
- Conduct business risk assessment of GhaFFaP members basket of product value chains, market assessment and external trade linkages
- Recommend plausible strategies for mitigating the identified risks and exploring the identifies market opportunities.
ROLE OF THE RESOURCE PERSON
|· Desk review of the basket of products value chain
· Development of survey questionnaire for the perceived risks of the business value chains, market assessment and trade linkages of GhaFFaP members.
· To recommend risk mitigation strategies and take advantage of the business opportunities and sustainable market opportunities for GhaFFaP members basket of products.
· Compile survey Final report and a presentation of it
· Develop next line of action of GhaFFaP and possible future research.
The results of this consultancy are to effectively enhance GhaFFaP members increased entrepreneurship, market access and access to finance.
- Business risk assessment report
- Analysis on output market and production capacity of GhaFFaP Members
- Value Chain, Market Assessment and trade linkages Report of GhaFFaP members.
ETHICS AND RISKS
- Conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest should be disclosed.
- Interviews/engagement with members of the GhaFFaP National Executive Committee, Business Incubation Team and the Women Champion Wing and other GhaFFaP members should respect the principle of Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC).
- Interviewees/sectorial stakeholders should be informed about the nature of the engagements; who is conducting it and for whom
The contract would be for;
Expected start date: 21st March, 2022
Expected end date: 22nd April, 2022
- Virtual means of soliciting for information will be prioritised. Phone calls and electronic means of communication and questionnaire administration is encouraged.
- Field Visit to FFPOs for in-depth discussions is encouraged.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Training in economics, environment and resource development, agribusiness, agricultural economics minimum of (master level) with at least five years’ work experience or bachelor’s degree in any of those same subject areas with at least eight years of industry experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of needs assessment and business incubation services
- Demonstrated knowledge of market assessment and trade linkage survey
- Comprehensive work experience in Ghana and in the agricultural/agribusiness sub sector
- Experience in electronic survey tools usage and stakeholder engagement
- Excellent writing skills to make accessible complex information.